- LED enhances the amount/levels of possible details captured compared to UV bulbs
- LED light sources exposes screens quickly and creates a harder, more durable stencil for better on-press longevity
- LED bulbs consume less energy and last more than 10,000 hours, so you don’t have to replace them as often
LED bulbs are the new standard for exposure units. Their spectrum of light output and wattage speeds up the screen-making process and improves the quality of the stencil. With the X1620 LED Exposure Unit, printers will see incredible results at an entry-level price.
The X1620 uses the same high output LED bulbs manufactured specifically for exposure units. These LED bulbs output the same optimal UV wavelength (405nm), which can be used on all types of emulsion. LED bulbs will last more than 10,000 hours, which is better for the printer and the environment.
The optically clear glass in the X1620 lets more than 99% of the UV light through without disruption to the wavelength. The exposure unit will burn screens faster compared to spiral UV bulbs. With a dialed-in darkroom and screens that have been coated and dried properly, printers can push more detail resolution compared to traditional UV bulbs. The X-Series are designed to perform.
The X1620 is a compression exposure unit. To get the best results, proper compression is key. Once the screen and foam pad are in place, put a piece of plywood to help evenly disperse the weight across the entire screen for optimal detail development. Put weight on top, like a gallon of white ink. Do not exceed 30 lbs.
When you’re learning to coat screens and dial in your darkroom, an emulsion like Baselayr Long Lasting would work best. If your darkroom is light-safe, dry, warm; you’ve perfected your techniques of coating and drying screens; and you’ve nailed compressing the screen properly, it is possible to use pre-sensitized emulsions like Baselayr Complete or Baselayr Plastisol.
Everything starts and ends in the darkroom. Build a solid foundation from the screen up with the X1620 today.
BROWSE THE BASELAYR EQUIPMENT CATALOG
- LED bulb technology
- Lightweight laser cut and formed aluminum frame
- Designed for 16"x20" frames, but works up to 20"x24" OD frames
- Note the edge of a larger frame will hang off the edges of the exposure unit along with some of the emulsion
- Push button on/off operation (No timer)
- 6-foot, 3-prong power cord
- Includes a foam pad for easy, on-contact exposing
- Three-year limited warranty (please see manual for details)
- Made in the USA
- 21 Step Exposure Calculator ($19.99 value)
- Unit dimensions: 16.5”(W) x 20.5”(L) x 5.5”(H)
- Optical clear glass: 16" x 20"
- Recommended frame size OD: 16”x20”
- Max frame size OD: 20" x 24"
- 3 T8 LED 405nm tube bulbs designed for screen exposure
- UV wattage: 60 watts
- Voltage: 115v (standard household current)
- Standard 110v 3-prong plug
- On/off functionality
- Shipping dimensions: 19"(W) x 23"(L) x 9"(H) 22lbs
- Ship Weight: 22 lbs
PRODUCT DATA SHEETS
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Frequently Bought Together
- 20x24 screen
- DIY units
- entry level shop
- learning curve
Buy It Now!
I bought this unit whenever they rolled out last year, and man am I glad I did! I was working with a DIY unit that I had made, it had its limitations, and the exposure times were less than desirable. After I started using this unit it sped my exposures up to warp speed! Completely affordable little unit if you ask me. If you’re starting out, just get it! You won’t regret it! It’ll save you a lot of headache down the road. One thing that may be a learning curve is exposing 20x24 screens. It’s ideal for 16x20 but all I have is 20x24. If you coat an entire 20x24 screen it won’t expose the edges. But it works fine for these screens, it just takes patience. Measure out what you need, after a while you’ll develop a knack for it and won’t need to measure anymore.
Hey Old E! What an awesome review with tons of feedback on your experience ordering the Baselayr X1620 exposure unit. We appreciate you sharing about exposure with it too. Keep up the awesome screen printing! Happy printing :)
I built an easy and cheap box lined with aluminum foil and wired in two CFL’s and thought I was pretty smart for avoiding the sun in my cyanotype exposures. Wrong! This LED UV unit is as good as the sun! And as fast! And cooler! And to my eye sharper! If you are serious get serious tools.
Hi William, Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us your experience with the Baselayr X1620 LED Exposure Unit - 16x20in. We are excited to know you love it! Happy printing :)
Overall, great budget exposure unit once you get the timing down. Unfortunately, mine did not come with the 21 step exposure calculator like the description indicates. We just opened and started using it, but being several months since receiving this, I doubt I'll get it sent to me.
Worked as expected right out of the box.
Hey James! Thanks for the awesome feedback! Glad the new exposure unit is working well for ya! Happy printing :) -firstname.lastname@example.org
Baslayer X1620 LED Exposure Unit
Lite weight and easy to move, very easy to use